The Artist’s Book Grant is a six- to eight-week residency for artists to produce a limited edition book work. Working intensively in our studios, artists print and bind their own books, and are encouraged to create an edition size no larger than 100 and no smaller than 50.
The grant includes a stipend of $350/week, up to $750 for materials, up to $250 for travel within the Continental US, free onsite housing, and 24/7 studio access. WSW can provide technical advice; training on new equipment, techniques, and materials; and production assistance.
The contract stipulates that 20% of the edition goes to WSW’s archive, exhibition, and display copies; 20% of the edition goes to the artist; and 60% of the edition goes to general sales. WSW has developed a series of archive and exhibition opportunities for our artists’ books, and artists can collaborate with WSW on marketing for a 50% commission fee.
WSW’s artists’ books are held in over 200 collections world-wide, and in nine repositories that have the majority of our collection: Indiana University (Bloomington), Rochester Institute of Technology, University of Delaware, Vassar College, Virginia Commonwealth University, Yale University, University of Michigan, The Library of Congress, and Bucknell University.
An outside jury of artists and curators choose the grant recipients.
The residency in a nutshell:
Postmark deadline*: November 15
Notification date: via email by March 1
Residency length: 6-8 weeks
Residency occurs: 6-18 months after application, September through June
Application must include:
- The application form
- A complete resume
- A materials budget
- A one-page project description, including the media and studio needed (no more than 200 words)
- If using original text, please include a representative writing sample
- A CD or flash drive with up to ten images of recent work (digital specifications here). WSW reserves the right not to review applications that are not formatted properly.
- An image script, which should include the title, medium, dimension, and date of each image
- A structural dummy to demonstrate how the book will be bound or function when handled. (This does not have to be a complete representation of the finished piece. Please do, however, include 1-2 fully realized spreads. Your dummy should represent the book’s actual size. We do, of course, anticipate that you will refine your ideas before the residency begins.)
- Applicants who don’t want to be notified by email can include a self-addressed, stamped envelope
- Please note: label all materials you’re submitting with your full name (including the dummy). Application materials will not be returned unless requested. In this case, adequate postage and packaging material must be included with the application.
*All applications must be physically mailed and postmarked by November 15.
Please send to:
Artist’s Book Grant Application
Women’s Studio Workshop
PO Box 489
Rosendale, NY 12472
Contact NameWomen’s Studio Workshop
Start Date2nd October 2017
Closing Date15th November 2017