BHM Live is an initiative that supports emerging UK-based artists from the African and African Caribbean Diaspora. This year, Serendipity will commission three artists to create work to feature in Legacy, a new magazine for Black History Month Leicester. The magazine will be available in print and online in October 2020.
Commissions will be multifaceted projects that translate into print with digital elements. For example; a series of illustrations and a time-lapse video of their creation, a collection of photographs with audio interviews with each sitter or written work such as poetry or short stories with spoken word element.
Successful applicants will receive:
* A £1000 commission to support the development of the new work
* The opportunity to showcase new work for Black History Month Leicester (October 2020) as part of Legacy magazine, and online
* Support and mentorship from industry leads
* Resources to support pitching and marketing
* Opportunities to build an industry network
To be considered for a BHM Live 2020 commission, you must:
* Be an emerging artist, based in the UK, from the African and African Caribbean Diaspora
* Complete the BHM Live application form, demonstrating a track record of producing quality work which is innovative, diverse and suitable for the general public
* Submit photographs, video clips, links, images or documents that evidence existing work
* Be able to complete an artistic commission by the end of August 2020
* Be available for remote artistic mentorship sessions June – November 2020
Please submit your proposals by completing the application form.
Deadline for applications: Thursday 25 June 2020, 5.00pm (BST)
Start Date15th June 2020
Closing Date30th June 2020