This role supports the Barber in achieving its mission through contributing to the care and presentation of its superlative permanent collections whether on display in the galleries, in store or on loan, and in the delivery of a year-round high-profile programme of exhibitions and displays. Working to the highest professional sector standards, the post holder moves, packs, installs and lights works of art, ranging from large oil canvases to small coins, mounts, glazes and frames objects, and acts as a courier for the Barber’s own works, in the UK and abroad, when required. The post holder is responsible for managing the Barber’s art stores and technical workshops, monitoring and reporting on environmental conditions in all areas where the collections are present, and adhering to Health & Safety policies and safe working practices at all times. Line-managed by the Exhibitions and Loans Manager, this is a singleton role in a small collections team, who works closely with all the curators as well as providing technical support to the wider Barber team, including colleagues in the Learning & Engagement team.
Required skills and experience
- Considerable experience of the handling, preparation, display and care of works of art gained in a museum or gallery environment.
- Considerable experience of mounting and framing works on paper to professional standards, evidence of general technical proficiency.
- Demonstrable understanding of the security and environmental issues relevant to a museum or gallery displaying fragile and irreplaceable works of art.
- Demonstrable understanding of the conservation issues surrounding art handling, including environment control systems and an awareness of and interest in developing sector standards
- Demonstrable evidence of a commitment to providing a high level of customer care when dealing with colleagues, external partners, couriers, etc.
- Thorough knowledge of relevant Health & Safety legislation and safe working practices, particularly as regards art handling.
- Good interpersonal skills, with the ability to build effective relationships.
Contact NameN King
Start Date8th November 2018
Closing Date4th December 2018