We are looking for a designer to generate a typeface, logo and artwork for our social enterprise and its first ever product, The Portland Pigeon. The successful applicant will be asked to plan and deliver three workshops for our youth club to create typography, illustrations and graphic artwork that represents our neighbourhood and our ethos, People in Progress. From the workshops, we expect that the designer will collate the ideas, drawings, prints and work created by the young people, to use as artwork for our product’s packaging, promo material, and as part of our Kickstarter campaign that will launch in May.
FOR MORE INFO GO TO THEPORTLANDINNPROJECT.TUMBLR.COM
The Commissioned Recipient must:
- Be well versed in typography and design for print and web
- Work in an open and collaborative way with young people, project curators and community members
- Be available to travel to Stoke-on-Trent and deliver three workshops on the following dates.
- Be available to spend some time in the neighbourhood and with project leads to gain a true sense of our ethos.
- Create a typeface, logo and artwork this will be used for the pigeon and packaging
DEADLINE: 18th March, 2020
ANNOUNCEMENT: 20th March, 2020
WORKSHOP: 4th April, 11th April, 2020 plus one date tbc
ARTWORK DEADLINE: 27th April, 2020
Commission fee – £1500 to include research time
Workshop fee – £750 delivery of 3 workshops
Materials – £200
The Portland Inn Project will cover accommodation and travel costs.
Who can apply:
The Portland Inn Project is committed to creating opportunities that are accessible and welcoming to all. This call is open to all artists and designers based in the UK. Candidates of Black, Asian or minority ethnic heritage, are particularly encouraged to apply.
How to apply: Please send in a single PDF to Rebecca Davies : THEPORTLANDINNPROJECT@GMAIL.COM
- Designer statement – max 150 words
- Approach to the brief – max 150 words
- Workshop proposals – max 300 words, with a particular emphasis on how you will engage with and enthuse the Project’s young participants.
- Work examples – maximum of 3, including images.
Contact NameRebecca Davies
Start Date15th March 2020
Closing Date18th March 2020