Hastings Open 2020 is for UK and international visual artists working in the following artistic mediums: painting, sculpture, ceramics, drawing, print, photography, digital, audio, mixed media, and video.
Entries must be made through our online application portal
You can download a copy of the Hastings Open 2020 Exhibition Pack here.
The Hastings Open 2020 Exhibition Pack includes:
- Terms and conditions
- Application form and key dates overview
- Payment, sales and commission
- Marketing and promotion
- Hastings Museum & Art Gallery contact details
What is needed to complete the online entry form?
You will be asked for:
- Your contact details
- Details of each artwork you are submitting including: title, date, dimensions, medium, description, and images. You will need to do this for each of the art works you are submitting
- A JPEG, PDF or MP4 of each artwork in jpeg format (max 10MB per artwork)
- Artist statement or description of your practice (maximum 300 words)
For digital, audio, mixed media and video works:
There is a section on the form for you to include URL hyperlinks to the content and also for any passwords that are required to view the work.
How many artworks can I submit?
You can submit from 1 to 5 artworks in total. Diptychs and triptychs will be counted as a single entry. The full work must be shown in the accompanying image.
How much does it cost to enter?
It costs £5 to enter one artwork and £20 to submit up to five artworks.
Does my work need to be for sale?
No. If your work is for sale then please enter the sale price when prompted. Hastings Museum & Art Gallery will take 15% commission from any sales made during the exhibition.
When will I know if I have been successful?
All artists will be notified by email on or before 31 March 2020.
Who is on the panel?
The panel of guest judges includes:
- Kate Adams – artist and CEO Project Art Works, Hastings, in collaboration with Ellen Prebble – artist-maker, Project Art Works, Hastings
- Kenton Lowe – blackShed gallery, Robertsbridge, East Sussex
- Patrick Adam Jones – Project 78 Gallery, St Leonards-on-Sea
- Phoebe Cripps – Assistant Curator at Hayward Gallery, London, and Associate Curator at Flatland, Hastings
Does Hastings Open 2020 have a prize?
Yes, there is a single prize comprising:
- A research residency at Hastings Museum & Art Gallery in 2020/21
- A solo exhibition at blackShed Gallery in 2021
- A production fee of £500
Key dates to remember
- Submission deadline: 23 February 2020
- All artists will be notified by email on or before 1 March 2020
- Exhibition dates: 2 May to 5 July
Contact NameHastings Open
Start Date20th February 2020
Closing Date23rd February 2020