In:Site Festival is an annual opportunity for new graduates to create temporary, bespoke public artworks outside in Birmingham City Centre. The festival, produced by Craftspace, has been taking place since 2000 and has developed into a week-long event showcasing a wide variety of makers. The festival is distinctive in commissioning new graduates to develop, define and reflect on site-specific and/or socially engaged craft practice in a public setting.
What are we looking for graduate makers/artists to do?
In:Site 2018 is exploring the connections between the historic and contemporary. We are looking for graduate makers/artists to create works inspired by the historical and contemporary life of the square, linking people, place and heritage.
Over one day each maker/artist will create an outdoor installation, engaging a transitory audience in their work. Public engagement varies from watching or experiencing the making process to participating in making activity.
– Festival runs 3rd-7th September 2018
– £150 commission award plus materials
– Travel expenses paid
– Up to 15 commission opportunities
– Open to 2018 undergraduates and 2017 post graduates
– Selection panel of industry professionals
– Work made will be on show for the duration of the festival
– Elements of the artwork can be prepared in advance of the festival but artists must produce the majority of the artwork on-site over the course of a day.
– Deadline for proposals submission: Sunday 15th July 2018
All information and application form can be found on the blog: insitefestival.craftspace.co.uk
Craftspace is a charity creating opportunities to see, make and be curious about exceptional contemporary craft.
Contact NameKaty Sadler
Start Date4th June 2018
Closing Date15th July 2018