The main purpose of this role is to assist with the daily operations of our ceramics studio. This position is based at our processing studio within walking distance of Leeds city centre.
You should have previous experience working in a ceramics studio, ideally with a relevant undergraduate degree and a track record as a crafts maker/designer. You should be highly motivated with appropriate technical and practical skills. Ideally you’ll be a problem solver capable of taking responsibility for all aspects of studio support.
Main duties & responsibilities:
- Reclaiming clay.
- Making slips and glazes.
- Glazing and processing finished work, samples and tests.
- Loading, unloading, programming and firing kilns.
- Preparing clay for workshops and events – mainly rolling slabs, slip-casting, press-moulding, extruding.
- Keeping records of student work: tracking batches of work through post production phases.
- Packing work ready for collection or delivery.
- Maintaining the studio, tools and equipment and signaling-up servicing and repair when needed.
- Monitoring materials and stock and advising when stock is running low.
- Helping with any studio activities and events that require additional support.
- Assisting with aspects of manufacturing prototypes, examples and products.
- Adhering to, and maintaining, relevant health and safety regulations.
- Recording processes, techniques and finished works for marketing purposes.
- Assisting at workshops and events.
- Assisting with deliveries of materials and equipment.
Full Job Description and Person Specification available at: https://sunkenstudio.co.uk/vacancy-studio-assistant/
Contact NameRebecca Catterall
Start Date29th August 2018
Closing Date10th September 2018