24th October 2019, 2:30 – 5:30pm
Phoenix Cinema and Art Centre, Midland Street, Leicester, LE1 1TG, UK
At this event CVAN EM and CAMEo will launch the publication of their research into the East Midlands visual arts community. Hear the key findings of It Takes A Region To Raise An Artist research, and participate in a lively discussion featuring regionally-based artists and curators, about support for artists, the strengths and gaps in the region and approaches to developing regional artistic talent.
- Dr Antoinette Burchill – AHRC Creative Economy Engagement Fellow – Researcher: It Takes A Region To Raise An Artist
- Andrea Hadley-Johnson – Artistic Programme Manager, National Justice Museum
- David John Scarborough – Artist, Curator and Founder of Modern Painters New Decorators
- James Steventon – Artist, Writer, Runner and Director, Fermynwoods Contemporary Art
- Skinder Hundal MBE – CEO and Director, New Art Exchange
And Elizabeth Hawley-Lingham, Director CVAN EM, Professor Mark Banks, Director, CAMEo.
This event is supported by AHRC, Midlands4Cities, CVAN EM, and CAMEo.
Following on from the event at Phoenix, from 6 – 7.30pm, we would love you to join us for CVAN EM’s Annual Event at nearby Two Queens, where over delicious refreshments and informal conversation, you’ll have a sneak preview of and an introduction to his new solo exhibition – Pillgarlic’s Gone A-Sauling – by Berlin-based artist Jake Kent. You’ll also be able to find out more about Leicester | shire‘s responses to the It Takes A Region To Raise An Artist workforce survey and hear about CVAN EM’s future plans.
Both these events are free and everybody is welcome to come to both or either!
Image: Buber Nebz (2019) If Not Now Then When, Graffiti, Loughborough. Photograph courtesy of Antoinette Burchill