Artcore invites UK artists to apply to our International Residency in Baroda (Vadodara), Gujarat state, India, in January 2019.
The International Residency is open to two UK artists and it will be hosted at the Reliance India Ltd. township in Baroda city, in western India. There will be about 6-7 Indian artists joining in locally. The Residency and Artist Camp will be held in the beautiful, green surroundings of the Reliance township with a lot of peacocks and hornbills and other birds. January is also a very pleasant time to visit India when the weather is cool and temperate. The Utran (Uttarayan) or the Kite Festival is celebrated with great enthusiasm and vibrancy across the state of Gujarat (where Vadodara is situated) and the whole city is up on the terraces and roof tops flying colourful kites. It’s a wonderful time and as artists, you will not just have a great ‘visual’ time but can join in the kite-flying as well.
For full information including the application pack see: http://artcoregallery.org.uk/artistresidency/kaipo-che-utran-residency/
Residency objectives :
- Artists with a commitment to developing their practice, who seek a dialogue and engagement with Baroda artists community and the wider Indian Contemporary Arts and Cultural Sector (artists, studios, producers, galleries, venues and festivals).
- Artists with an interest in how sharing practices and collaborative working can inform the development of their work and how this residency will benefit their practice.
- Artists who aim to embrace the ways in which cultural experiences will inform further development of their own work.
The residency will take place in Baroda, India.The programme includes the following benefits:
- Support international travel for UK artists (Birmingham/Manchester-Vadodara-back)
- Boarding and lodging of TWO artists from 02/01 to 21/01 2019 • Participation Art Camp
- Project materials provided
- Artist blog
- Artist talks
- A curator to work with
- Opportunity to deliver workshops with local artists
- Publicity and marketing support
We welcome applications from UK artists working in any discipline to apply to the International Residency. A selection panel will evaluate each artist project based on the following criteria:
- Innovation and originality
- The quality and creativity of the project
- The coherence of the project and its relevance within the career of the candidate
- The viability of the project and how suitable the International Residency media and work spaces are for the proposed project.
- The capacity to create channels for artistic activity between different contexts and to search for reciprocity between UK and India.
- The capacity and enthusiasm to engage with Baroda and beyond communties of artists, art practicioners, curators and critics.
- Interest in donating a selection of the artworks produced during the residency to be a part of Reliance Collection.
Residency application dates:
- January 2nd (Wednesday): Departure from UK
- January 3rd (Thursday): Arrival in Baroda and settling down
- January 4th (Friday) to 12 (Saturday): Participation in Painters’ Camp
- January 13th-14th (Sunday, Monday): Utran weekend celebrations in Baroda
- January 15th (Tuesday) to 20 (Sunday): Personal time (travel, visits to museums, historical places, etc.)
- January 21st (Monday): Depart for UK (flexible, depending on travel plans for each artist)
- How to apply
If you wish to be considered for this opportunity please send the required information to email@example.com by Midnight 17/09/2018.
- A full written proposal (max. 1 side of A4)
- Artist portfolio
- Artist statement and two referees
- A letter indicating your desire to participate in the project as per the aim of the project and the brief given above.
- A detailed note on how your residency and then artworks will incorporate your idea
Please include ‘Expression of Interest- Kaipo Che residency’ in the subject line of the email.
Further information about this brief or to have a discussion about your ideas please contact Chiara Dellerba via e-mail (Chiara@artcoreuk.com) or by telephone: 01332 384561
Contact NameChiara Dellerba
Start Date7th August 2018
Closing Date17th September 2018